Haepapa – Responsibility
- Accepting responsibility means making choices and decisions and then taking appropriate action.
- We can take responsibility for our own happiness, health and learning and can also support others with this.
- We are responsible to many different people. To our family, our classmates, our teammates, our community. They are all depending on us in one way or another.
- Responsibility is setting and working hard towards my goals and the steps to achieve them.
Auahatanga – Innovation
- Innovation is the act of introducing a new idea, device or process for the first time and being able to communicate this to others.
- It is about applying new tools and technology to old problems to achieve better outcomes.
- Being innovative may mean taking risks and trying new ways of doing things.
- It is about knowing that we can think in creative, imaginative and curious ways to make a positive difference in our world.
Ngakau pono – Integrity
- Integrity is doing the right thing at the right time regardless of whether someone is watching or not.
- Integrity is being strong enough to make the correct choices even when it is difficult or challenging, despite the consequences.
- Integrity is taking responsibility for your own words and actions, doing what you say you will do, being honest, being fair and inclusive.
- Having integrity means you have other powerful life skills such as patience, honesty, responsibility and care.
Manaaki Whakaute – Care and Respect
- Care and Respect is thinking and acting in a way that shows others you care about their well-being.
- Care and respect is about helping and looking out for each other.
- It is when you accept everyone’s differences and embrace them.
- Care and respect is being empathetic and encouraging people to feel they belong.
Hiranga – Excellence
- Excellence is living up to your potential and knowing you are doing the very best you can.
- Striving for excellence means you persist with a positive attitude when learning is difficult. You challenge yourself to take risks and understand that mistakes are part of learning.
- Excellence can happen at school, at home, in our sports teams and in our communities.